Friday, November 9, 2012

Veterans Day

This thought is in Honor of my Father.

                                                  Grampy         Me      Rebekah      Dad
On Monday my school, along with the country, will Celebrate Veterans Day. It is a day to treasure and honor the people of the armed forces that have given so much to and for their country.
My Dad was a Veteran, but he seldom spoke about being a Marine.

Ovay, this topic is harder than I thought it was going be...


My Dad fought in Vietnam, and we weren't allowed to have guns, not even toy ones.

My Dad had what he called an extra belly button and a Purple Heart to show for it. (2 actually)

My Dad had a chestful of medals and the first time I saw them on him is when I graduated from boot camp.

My Dad feared snakes, one had crawled down around him as a patrol walked by his hidden position.

My Dad laughed about some of his memories from Vietnam but suffered from nightmares.

My Dad talked about his great buddies he had there and we traced their names on the Vietnam Memorial
... as he wept.

My Dad spoke of the destruction Agent Orange caused and it likely contributed to the Pancreatic Cancer.

My Dad died almost 13 years ago and the playing of Taps and a folded flag still makes my eyes well up


Thank a Veteran not because you have to, but because you are lucky enough to be able to do so.







3 comments:

  1. Phil,
    My son is currently stationed at Ft. Knox, KY. He serves on a burial detail so he travels a six state area for the flag ceremony. He's the fourth generation of servicemen on both sides of our family

    The ceremony is beautiful. My brother folded the flag while my nephew played taps for my dad's graveside service. Dad did not talk about his time overseas but his service buddies remain a part of our family years later.

    The local VFW provided the pageantry for my stepson's funeral. Honoring them in life is even more important for our soldier's re-entry into "normal life."

    Thanks for sharing your story about your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing such heartfelt memories of your dad with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil, what a short but powerful post. You brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing your memories with us.

    ReplyDelete